When you take the best and make it even better, you elevate performance to a whole new level of excellence. The multi-award-winning sixth-generation Camaro is proving that with two new 1LE performance packages that look to raise the standard for track performance.
Chevrolet will offer two distinct 1LE performance packages: one for the 2017 V8 Camaro SS, and one for 2017 V6 Camaro LT Coupe models equipped with manual transmissions. This marks the first time the iconic package, initially offered on third-generation Camaro models in the 1980s, will be available in a V6 variety. No other competitor offers a V6 track package.
The new 1LE Performance Package looks to build on the legacy of its predecessors while helping Camaro attain even higher benchmarks on the track, said Al Oppenheiser, Camaro chief engineer.
“The Camaro 1LE packages follow a recipe any track-day enthusiast will appreciate,” said Oppenheiser. “Start with a lightweight, stiff structure and then add higher levels of suspension stiffness and damping, more aggressive tires, higher downforce, more powerful brakes and more cooling. The result delivers better performance in all measures.”
A beautifully balanced daily driver, the V6 Camaro LT 1LE is also a beast on the track. Featuring more aggressive suspension tuning, standard Brembo® brakes, and Goodyear® Eagle F1 tires, the LT 1LE delivers an estimated 0.97 g in cornering grip, offering driver enthusiasts consistent lap after lap performance on the track.
“With a curb weight under 3,500 pounds, excellent front-to-rear weight balance and the precision of the FE3 suspension, the Camaro LT 1LE offers unmatched capability in its class,” said Oppenheiser. “As a result, it offers incredible performance for Camaro V6 customers.”
The V8 Camaro SS 1LE introduces the new FE4 suspension to the sixth-generation Camaro — a performance-oriented chassis system with specific tuning for the magnetic dampers, springs and stabilizer bars. The package includes a new segment-exclusive electronic limited-slip differential. Paired with exclusive Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar tires, lateral acceleration will exceed 1 g.
“The 2017 Camaro SS 1LE sets the new benchmark for the segment, lapping the Big Willow track at Willow Springs three seconds faster than the standard Camaro SS,” said Oppenheiser.
The 1LE Performance Package will be available late 2016.
Camaro LT 1LE Highlights
- 3.6L V6 rated at 335 horsepower and matched with the 6-speed manual transmission
- FE3 suspension components (from the Camaro SS), including dampers, rear cradle mounts, ball-jointed rear toe links and stabilizer bars
- Lightweight 20-inch forged-aluminum wheels with Goodyear Eagle F1 245/40R20 front tires and 275/35R20 rear tires
- Brembo 4-piston front brake calipers
- Mechanical limited-slip differential with 3.27 ratio
- Standard track cooling package with engine oil, differential and transmission coolers
- Suede steering wheel and shorter-throw shifter
- Standard dual-mode exhaust system
- Camaro SS fuel system for higher-load cornering capability
- Satin black hood, front splitter and unique 3-piece rear spoiler
- Unique high-flow mesh upper and lower grille with satin black accents
- Available RECARO® seats
- Available Performance Data Recorder
Camaro SS 1LE Highlights
- 6.2L LT1 V8 rated at 455 horsepower, and 6-speed manual transmission (automatic transmission not available)
- Magnetic Ride Control
- Segment-exclusive electronic limited-slip differential with 3.73 ratio
- Unique forged-aluminum wheels with 285/30ZR20 front tires and 305/30ZR20 rear tires
- Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar tires with a compound and construction developed exclusively for Camaro
- Brembo brakes with new 6-piston monobloc front red calipers and 2-piece rotors
- Track cooling package with engine oil, differential and transmission coolers
- Suede steering wheel with shorter-throw shifter
- Dual-mode exhaust system
- RECARO front seats with aggressive bolsters optimized for shifting and steering comfort
- Satin black hood, front mirrors and unique 3-piece rear spoiler
- Available Performance Data Recorder