When torque is king, choose factor-engineered Big-Block power from Chevrolet Performance.
The classic Big-Block production engine was introduced in 1965. Cylinder-block casting combines traditional Big-Block heritage and modern production techniques for 21st-century performance.
BOWTIE SPORTSMAN BLOCKS
Born from a full line of high-quality, precision-machined components based on performance-proven GM designs, a Bowtie Sportsman block packs big power and long-lasting reliability ideal for drag racers and street machines.
- Available in short-deck (9.800”) or tall-deck (10.200”) configurations
- Blocks have clearance for 4,500” tolerance
- CNC-machined to +/- .005” tolerance
- Siamese cylinder bores
- Bore finishers are ready to bore to size
- Machined for mechanical fuel pump
- Machined for hydraulic roller and flat tappets
- Nodular iron 4-bolt main caps splayed 16-degrees on the three center mains
- Priority main oiling system
- Blocks with a 1-piece Rear Main Seal use the 6-bolt, Gen VI-style front cover (P/N 10230954) and Gen VI-style oil pan
- Blocks with a 2-piece Rear Main Seal use the 10-bolt, Mark IV-style front cover and Mark IV-style oil pan
ZL1 ALUMINUM BIG-BLOCK
Built from premium materials and precision machined to blueprinted specifications, this fabled aluminum 427-cubic-inch Big-Block lets mere mortals experience the raw horsepower and tremendous torque of the ZL1.
- 356- T6M Aluminum block
- Standard deck height (9.800")
- 4.300" maximum bore
- 4.240" finished bore
- 4.375" maximum stroke
- Siamese cylinder walls
- Centrifugally spun cast-iron cylinder sleeves
- Steel 4-bolt main caps splayed 16° on the three center mains (dowel located)
- Provision for hydraulic roller camshafts
- AN O-ring oil and water plugs
- Tested to 650 horsepower
CAST-IRON BOWTIE RACE BLOCKS
With thick deck surfaces and splayed 4-bolt steel bearing caps, a cast-iron Bowtie Race Block is the starting point for drag racers looking for custom-machined performance.
- Precision CNC-machining means +/- 0.005" tolerances
- Blocks are available in short deck (9.800") or tall deck (10.200")
- A sonic bore check data sheet is provided with each block
- Siamese cylinder bores
- Improved cooling around number-1 cylinder
- Accepts Mark IV or Gen V, VI cylinder heads
- Use Gen V head gaskets with Mark IV and Gen V cylinder heads
- Use Gen VI head gaskets with Gen VI cylinder heads
- Requires Mark IV design 2-piece rear main seal oil pans
- Requires Mark IV design crankshafts
- Can use Mark IV and Gen V, VI camshafts, timing sets, lifters and timing cover (aftermarket belt-drive timing covers may require clearancing)
- Blind-tapped head bolt holes; extra inner head bolt bosses provided
- 4-bolt SAE 8620 main caps splayed 16° on the three center mains
- Priority main oiling wet-sump system
- Provisions for dry-sump oil line provided
- Honed camshaft and crankshaft bores
- 0.842" lifter bores (maximum 1.06") may be relocated
- Distributor gear clearance at bottom of number-8 cylinder bore should be checked
- Machined mechanical fuel pump pad
BIG-BLOCK DRCE BLOCKS
Specifically designed with 500-cubic-inch Pro Stock engines in mind, the DRCE (Drag Racing Competition Engine) family of Big-Blocks is the foundation of many Pro Stock drag-racing engines.
- CNC-machined to +/- 0.005" tolerance
- Siamese cylinder bores with 4.900" spacing
- No lifter bosses, solid bar can be drilled as required
- No head-bolt holes
- Numbers two and four main bearing bulkheads moved 0.060"
- Bellhousing bolt pattern accommodates Chevy and Pontiac/Olds transmissions
- Uses Big-Block Chevrolet crank, camshaft, balancer, flywheel and water pump
- Requires camshaft with distributor gear behind rear bearing
- Priority main oiling dry-sump system
- Dual starter mounting locations
- Front-engine mounts only
- Each block is supplied with sonic test data sheet
Subscribe to receive monthly email communications such as news, offers, and more from Chevrolet Performance.
Visit TheBLOCK.com for a behind-the-scenes look at the world of Chevrolet Performance from an enthusiast's point of view.