If you enjoy using Amazon Alexa at home, you can also use it in your properly equipped vehicle to play music, place calls, get directions and more.
About Alexa Built-in
Alexa Built-in,† part of your infotainment system,† offers many of the same skills and features as Alexa in your home. You can choose to set Alexa as the default voice system in the vehicle.
In addition to a properly equipped vehicle, you’ll need an eligible active service plan† or trial and an Amazon account. Eligible plans include the Premium, Connected Vehicle and App Access plans.
Before using Alexa in your vehicle:
- If you don’t have an Amazon account, create one at amazon.com
- For best results, download the Amazon Alexa mobile app to your phone, which allows you to access linked accounts and media services. You can find it in the Google Play™† or Apple App Store®†
- Download the associated skills and link accounts to the media services you’d like to access in the Alexa mobile app in Settings> Music & Podcasts (e.g., Spotify,† Audible,† iHeartRadio† or Amazon Music)
- If you are currently listening on a home device using the same account, no action is required and your skills will be available in your vehicle
- Pair your phone with the vehicle via Bluetooth†
- Complete the in-vehicle setup process and link your applicable accounts
To wake Alexa using the wake word, simply say “Alexa” and a command (Google built-in only). Alternatively, you can press and release the Push-to-talk button on your steering wheel or tap the Alexa button on the infotainment system.
Making Phone Calls
- Your phone must be Bluetooth®† paired in order to make phone calls and access your phone contacts
- After waking Alexa, say “Alexa, call...” followed by the name of a contact or phone number (e.g., “Alexa, call John Doe” or “Alexa, call 313-665-2000”)
*Apple CarPlay must be disconnected in order to make calls with Alexa.
Navigation and Location Details
- When routing to a new destination, you can ask Alexa to send directions to your in-vehicle Navigation system of choice (if equipped)
- Say “Alexa, show me nearby coffee shops,” and Alexa will provide a list of the closest options on your center display, which you can then navigate to
- With embedded navigation, you can ask Alexa to navigate by address, business name, contact name, home or work. Plus, easily search points of interest and add them as stops along the way
- If you don’t have embedded Navigation or Turn-by-Turn Navigation, you can ask for route overview or traffic information (e.g., “Alexa, how long will it take me to get to work?”)
- To play music, say “Alexa, play” followed by the name of an artist, song, album, playlist, channel, podcast, book, AM/FM radio station or SiriusXM®†station name or number (if your vehicle has SiriusXM)
- Alexa will play content from the sources linked on your Alexa account (such as Spotify, Pandora,† Audible,† iHeartRadio or Amazon Music), or through your vehicle’s radio tuner
– Example: “Alexa, play Z100 New York on iHeartRadio”
- You can control playback using commands such as “Pause,” “Skip,” “Next,” “Previous,” etc.
– Additional controls may be available for certain channels and service providers, including “Thumbs Up,” adding a station, adding songs to a playlist, etc.
- To control the temperature, say “Alexa, set temperature” followed by the desired driver, passenger or rear temperature. Auto mode can be set for front and rear temperatures
– Example: “Alexa, set driver-side temperature to 68”
*Note: Climate Control is not available in vehicles with Google built-in
- To control volume in your vehicle, say “Alexa, set volume” followed by your desired volume level. You can also turn volume down through voice commands
– Example: “Alexa, increase/decrease volume”
- To mute/unmute volume in your vehicle, say “Alexa mute/unmute volume”
*Not available on Google built-in
Additional Alexa Functionality
- If you link your account, you can use most of the functionality available on devices in your home with Alexa Built-in (select “Things to try” from the Alexa Settings menu to learn more), including:
– Find your nearest GM Dealership or auto service center
– Find the nearest gas station
– Control your compatible smart home devices†
– Ask for the time, calendar information, weather, facts, etc.
– Visit amazon.com/alexa-auto to learn about additional functionality
For your security, please don’t include personal info such as phone number, address or credit card details.
Related Links and Resources
Hold and drag the Alexa icon to the App Tray, located on the left side of the screen. If successful, you should see the Alexa icon in the tray.
Alexa allows you to play music from multiple sources like SiriusXM®, Amazon Music, Apple Music, Spotify and TIDAL.
Media streaming services require you to download the associated skills from the Alexa app and perform account linking. If you have already downloaded the skill(s) and are listening on a home device, no further action is required.
You may be able to download the Alexa app through the Google Play store. If not, reach out to Customer Support by pressing the blue OnStar button.
How you wake Alexa depends on what option you selected when you set it up.
- Say “Alexa” followed by the command*
- Press and release the PUSH-TO-TALK button on the steering wheel (a short press) to wake Alexa and issue commands
- Tap the Alexa icon on the infotainment system to wake Alexa and issue commands
*Note: Only available through Google Built-in.
If you want to change your preferences, you can do so by tapping the Alexa icon on the Home screen of your infotainment system, then selecting the Settings menu in the upper-left corner of the screen.
No. An Amazon Prime account is not required.
Yes. As long as you’ve signed in to Amazon in each vehicle, Alexa will work in multiple vehicles.
Yes. You should create unique personal profiles on your infotainment system and log in to your individual Amazon accounts in your unique profile using the USERS icon on the Home screen. The credentials for each account will be saved to the respective profile. For the best experience, you and your spouse should download the Amazon Alexa mobile app to your mobile device.
Confirm with your dealer if your vehicle is eligible to receive Alexa Built-in. Upon confirmation, press the blue OnStar button to connect with an Advisor.
Looking for something else?
Need more help?
Communicate with one of our specialists.