If equipped and enabled, the available AutoSense Liftgate lets you open your liftgate simply by approaching the rear of the vehicle with your key fob in your pocket or bag. The vehicle must be in PARK to use this feature.
Enabling Your AutoSense Liftgate
Before performing the steps below, be sure to enable the AutoSense Liftgate using your center display. Select: Vehicle Settings > Comfort and Convenience > Hands-Free Exterior Storage Access > Open Only
Opening the Liftgate:
1. Approach the rear of the liftgate with your key fob from farther than 10-15 feet (approximately 3-4 meters).
2. Within 4 feet (approximately 1 meter) of the liftgate, your presence will trigger the liftgate.
3. If you stay in that area for about three seconds, the liftgate will prepare to open with four quick beeps and taillamp flashes.
- If you step out of this area in under three seconds, the liftgate opening will be canceled, unless you return within eight seconds.
4. The liftgate will continue rising, accompanied by three slower chimes and taillamp flashes, until fully open.
If you cancel a liftgate opening by stepping out of the area near the liftgate, you must repeat the sequence from the beginning. This includes leaving the area 10-15 feet (3-4 meters) around the sides and rear of the vehicle with your key fob. After 20 seconds, you can perform another AutoSense Liftgate opening. To open the liftgate without waiting 20 seconds, press the exterior liftgate switch.
Cancelling a Liftgate Opening:
In addition to stepping out of the area near the liftgate, there are other ways to cancel a liftgate opening within three seconds:
- Press the switch on the outside of the rear liftgate
- Press the liftgate button on the key fob
Close the liftgate using any of these methods:
- Press the exterior liftgate switch (location varies by model)
- Press the interior liftgate button (location varies by model)
- Press the liftgate button on your key fob
The AutoSense Liftgate may become disabled if:
- A trailer is attached and properly connected to the vehicle
- The key fob becomes muted as a result of remaining in the approach zone continuously for two or more minutes
- To unmute the fob, perform a vehicle unlock with either your key fob or your vehicle’s door handle switches. Then repeat the steps for opening the AutoSense Liftgate
- The feature has been turned off in the center display by selecting: Vehicle Settings > Comfort and Convenience > Hands-Free Exterior Storage Access > Off
- The feature has been turned off by pressing and holding the exterior liftgate switch for over five seconds
- Press and hold the exterior switch again to turn the feature back on
For your security, please don’t include personal info such as phone number, address or credit card details.
Related Links and Resources
The liftgate opening will cancel if you step out of the area directly in front of it for longer than eight seconds during the three-second period of alerts before it opens. After this type of cancellation, your key fob must be removed from the approach zone for at least 20 seconds before trying to use the AutoSense Liftgate again.
The liftgate is designed to open with a purposeful approach, using the areas and process defined in this article. If the liftgate alerts an undesired opening, simply step out of the area directly in front of the liftgate within three seconds or press either the liftgate button on your key fob or the exterior liftgate button to cancel.
Looking for something else?
Need more help?
Communicate with one of our specialists.