How It Works
Unless you’ve temporarily disabled it, Driver Attention Assist is active each time you turn your vehicle on. Your vehicle must be in forward motion and traveling above a certain speed.
Driver Attention Assist uses cameras to warn you when it detects drowsy or distracted behavior. It looks for signs of drowsiness, such as yawning or blink pattern.
Types of Driver Attention Assist Alerts
Depending on how drowsy the system detects you are, you may get these alerts:
- Level 1: You’re aware you’re drowsy but need no effort to keep awake.
- You’ll see a white coffee cup icon in your cluster display and hear a chime. Or, if your vehicle has Safety Alert Seat and it’s selected as the alert type, you’ll feel a Safety Alert seat pulse.
- Level 2: You’re aware you’re drowsy and need some effort to keep awake (e.g., by playing music, rolling down the windows, etc.).
- You’ll see a yellow coffee cup icon in your cluster display and hear a chime (or feel a Safety Alert seat pulse).
- Level 3: You’re showing signs of severe exhaustion and are fighting to stay awake or drifting in and out of sleep.
- You’ll see a red coffee cup icon in your cluster display and hear several chimes (or feel Safety Alert seat pulses).
- You’ll see options asking you if you’d like to take a break, call a friend or navigate to a nearby point of interest (e.g., coffee shop, hotel, gas station, etc.). You can also call an OnStar Advisor.
About Attention Alert
Attention Alert is active when your vehicle is in forward motion and traveling above a certain speed. It looks for distracted driving by tracking your eye gaze location.
You’ll receive a distracted alert if it detects the driver’s eyes are off road.
When the feature detects distraction, you’ll receive a message in the cluster display that says, “Distraction Detected Keep Eyes on Road.” You’ll also hear a chime or feel a Safety Alert Seat pulse (if your vehicle has this and it’s selected in alert type menu).
Safety or driver assistance features are no substitute for the driver’s responsibility to operate the vehicle in a safe manner. The driver should remain attentive to traffic, surroundings and road conditions at all times. Visibility, weather and road conditions may affect feature performance. Read the vehicle Owner’s Manual for more important feature limitations and information.
For your security, please don’t include personal info such as phone number, address or credit card details.
Related Links and Resources
Alerts can be customized through the vehicle Settings menu, under Driver Attention Assist.
Looking for something else?
Need more help?
Communicate with one of our specialists.