How it works
You can access your OnStar Smart Driver information on the mobile apps, which are compatible with most Android† and Apple† devices.
From the app’s Home screen, tap the OnStar Smart Driver widget. There, you can review trip statistics, achievements and a monthly summary report to help improve your driving habits. The monthly summary requires a paid subscription.
Enrolling in OnStar Smart Driver
You can enroll in OnStar Smart Driver through the mobile apps. From the app’s Home screen, tap on the OnStar Smart Driver Widget. The app will walk you through the steps to enroll. Current customers of Smart Driver must re-enroll to use the OnStar Smart Driver feature, including gamification elements.
Viewing Data Displays
Once you’re enrolled, you can access the data your vehicle collects. At the top of your screen is a display of trips taken and Badges earned.
Underneath are two tabs: Achievements and Trip Stats
- Tap the Trip Stats tab to see statistics about your trip, including a map that displays hard acceleration and hard braking events (map and historical trip data require paid subscription).
- Tap the Achievements tab to view “Challenges” (rings representing your progress toward badges) and a summary of your Streaks.
- Tap "Monthly Report” under “Reports” to view a monthly summary of your driving behaviors (requires paid subscription).
The Trip Stats screen will now show driving information such as:
- Total miles driven for last trip
- Total miles driven for past trips
- Hard braking incidents
- High-speed driving percentage (between 12 a.m. and 4 a.m.)
The Achievements screen will show:
- Challenges: These appear as a series of rings being filled in.
- Graphics: These appear in the center of the rings to signify the smart driving category you’re working on (e.g., a foot on a brake pedal symbolizes hard braking).
- Completed circles: These indicate you’ve achieved the goal of the category shown in the center.
- Your current best Streaks and all-time best driving behaviors.
The Monthly Report Screen gives a summary of driving behaviors over the month (requires a paid subscription).
For your security, please don’t include personal info such as phone number, address or credit card details.
Related Links and Resources
To enroll in OnStar Smart Driver, you must be an OnStar or Connected Services† Member with Connected Access† or other eligible service plan, live in the U.S., Canada or Mexico, and own an eligible vehicle.
Looking for something else?
Need more help?
Communicate with one of our specialists.